Missouri Leadership Seminar | Affiliated Civic Organizations & Charities
Looking for great organizations to get involved in? Or good places to give back? Below are list of M.L.S. affiliated civic organizations and charities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with specific questions or concerns. Warm volunteering fuzzies!
Civic Organizations that Support M.L.S.
- Optimist International – The “Friends of Youth” are by far our biggest support, and can be found in many towns across Missouri and the United States. Optimist Clubs do fundraisers throughout the year and then give the money to local youth organizations, sports or events like MLS. They are always looking for help with events or new members (it’s very easy to join). In some cases there are even youth branches of the Optimists that you can get involved in. Clubs that get heavily involved in MLS fundraising include:
- Blue Springs Optimists
- Downtown Kansas City Optimists
- Kirkwood Optimists
- Lake Lotowana Optimists
- Sugar Creek Optimists
- Warrensburg Optimists
- GFWC: General Federated Women’s Clubs – We have enjoyed special support from the GFWC of Missouri throughout our existence. Beyond simply funding student attendees, they also provide cookies and snacks during the seminar. Similar to Optimists, GFWC clubs hold fundraisers and support various causes, many involving youth.
- GFWC of Missouri
- Kiwanis International – We have several Kiwanis clubs that support students attending seminar. Learn more about Kiwanis at their website.
- American Legions – We have several American Legions that also support students. Posts can be found throughout the US. Learn more at the American Legion website.
Charities Supported by M.L.S.
- Missouri Girls Town – Missouri Girls Town provides a loving, family atmosphere for all the girls that live there– something many of their clients never experience before coming to Missouri Girls Town. It was started and is maintained by the GFWC of Missouri. You can find their current wish list of items for the girls here.
- Missouri Veterans Home – MLS does several service projects during the seminar for the Missouri Veterans Home in Warrensburg, Mo. There are veterans homes located throughout the state, and you can find the nearest one here. The one is Warrensburg is always in need of items for their residents; you can call your nearest one for details, or apply to volunteer in the homes.
- The i-Rok Foundation – The i-Rok foundation was started in memory of M.L.S. alumnae Kori Quinn. Kori was an inspiring young woman and a cherished member of the M.L.S. staff. Donations to help children with cancer through i-Rok can be made here.
- Cards for Hospitalized Kids – each year, seminar staff and attendees make cards for sick children during our on-site service projects. You too can make cards, instructions for doing so are found here.
- Operation Gratitude – Operation gratitude sends care packages to U.S. troops serving overseas. Seminar has written letters and made paracord bracelets before, but you can find a variety of activities you can contribute to on the Operation Gratitude